Tuesday, February 16, 2010

0 comments Tuesday, February 16, 2010

On Promises

Posted by Maia - Filed under , , , ,

PROMISE. One word. Seven letters. A bazillion meanings. Probably one of the most abused and misused word in the dictionary. Also a word that I both love and abhorr -- probably the word I am most sensitive about - aside from "Love". It's a word I think about the most, and put meaning into the most.

So, in layman's terms what is a promise?

According to wikipedia,

A promise is a transaction between two or more persons whereby the first person undertakes in the future to render some service, gift or assurance to the others or devotes something valuable now and here to his use.
So basically, a promise in a legal sense is a transaction. It's a deal. An exchange of values. you are expected to deliver by that person you made that promise to. Because you have put on the table something valuable for that person - in the near future or more.

To me, what is a promise?

A promise is a solemn declaration and a commitment to do something or to follow through a course of action. It is synonymouse to swear, vow, pact -- and it is sacred. I do not take it lightly. Everytime someone says, I PROMISE I expect people to follow through.

Boy: I promise, I'll text you when I get home.
Maia: Ok.

6 hours later. Boy never texts. Maia is pissed. Boy wonders why.

Boy: why are you so pissed?
Maia: You promised.
Boy: ... ang babaw, adik!
Maia: you said you promise.

Yeah. mababaw.Who cares? If you promise, I don't take it lightly.I will expect it. Because you promised. you vowed to me. I expect it done.

As for me, I dont back down on my promises. I follow through. Even when it means eating my pride, risking my life or doing things that I am not used to. Promises are sacred. PERIOD. I dont promise anything I cannot do.

Promises are made to be broken.

So, maybe there is truth to this. Because I have met plenty people who have done it. What? I had the "to have and to hold, for richer and for poorer and til death do us part" promise become bullshit at one point in my life.

In fact, people still hurt me with broken promises. It's the ONE THING that breaks me and pisses me off to no end. Broken promises hurt me the most. Because you ruined the trust I had for you, you made me stop believing you and that to me hurts.

But I still keep believing in the power of promises.

It might be kind of stupid, you know, getting back on the horse after getting kicked off, thrown off and run over, but I still believe that someone will actually make a promse to me that will last. Promises are built on trust. Trust builds love. And love... well you get my drift. So, If you promise to me it's something big to me. It means a lot.

And to me, a person who keeps his promises, is a person worth knowing - and a person worth loving. And if I find a person who would promise me everything and pull through with it and then it is worth it.


HE promised and I know HE will deliver.
I believe that. I never doubt that.
This is the most important PROMISE.

The most important promise I keep in my heart is the Lord's promise that he will never leave me. Maybe that's why I keep believing because someone out there, still keeps his promises and will never allow me to break down.

At least I know I can trust someone and truly believe in HIS promises...


0 comments:

Post a Comment